FYE 100, College Engagement Seminar, is designed for first year students to successfully engage in college life, including both the academic and social arenas. This course is organized around the following Framing Questions and the course schedule and assignments will reflect this focus: Why college and how to use growth mindset to be successful?; Who am I?; What is good research?; and What does research reveal about my experience?
The goals of this course are:
- To welcome students into the Defiance College (DC) academic community. A community based on academic curiosity, commitment, and conversation.
- To explore the liberal arts and how they inform intellectual curiosity, academic commitment and personal success.
- To develop a connection with your DC academic advisor, and an academic and co-curricular plan for your 4 years at DC.
- To develop an understanding about conducting research at the college level, a skill known as information literacy.
- To establish a sense of connection and belonging to DC.
Advisor Assignments (total of three)
Writing Assign. #1 - Summative Reflection Writing
Writing Assign. #2 – Autoethnography
Research Skills Bibliography Assignment
Research Evaluation Assignment
Writing Assign. #3 – Inquiry Research Paper
Be sure to check your course syllabus and Moodle for more specific details about expectations specific to your section of FYE100.