The primary objective of Student Academic Support Services (SASS) is to provide undergraduate students at Defiance College with resources and opportunities to improve their ability to learn and to achieve academic success by assisting them in developing effective study strategies and academic skills and by providing various types of academic support when needed.
Click on one of the tabs above or one of the links below to learn more about the programs provided by SASS:
- First-Year Program — strives to support and empower Defiance College’s students to be successful college learners and engaged campus leaders. One of the main goals of the First-Year Program is to prepare and orient incoming first-year students to the academic realities of the Defiance College campus.Through SASS, the First-Year Program coordinates the FYE 100– College Engagement Seminar and trains and supervises the First-Year Peer Leaders.
- Learning Studio — provides academic services to assist the college’s students. The following Academic Support Services are provided through the Learning Studio: Tutoring, Writing Consultation, Supplemental Instruction, Study Skill Development, and Structured Study Program (Study Tables)
- Success Coaching — is a program where trained staff meet one-on-one with undergraduate students to build connections, educate them about college resources, and develop personal plans to facilitate their success. While Success Coaching is required for conditionally admitted students, any student can take advantage of the coaching provided through SASS.
- Success@DC – is an early-alert system that collects information reported by faculty and staff regarding students’ attendance, academic performance, campus behaviors, and other concerns. The SASS staff and Student Life oversee this system to assist students of concern by providing the necessary advising and navigating student concerns to the appropriate support services on campus.
- Advising Undeclared Students — is a service to support those students who may be struggling to identify a major for their college studies. We provide assistance with scheduling as well as advising and exploration tools and strategies in close coordination with the Career Development Office to help a student discover the major that is right for them.