Choosing an interesting research topic is your first challenge in the research process. Sometimes your professor may help with this by assigning a topic or providing a list of potential topics. Nonetheless, here are some tips to get started:
- Choose a topic that you are interested in! The research process is more relevant if you care about your topic.
- Narrow your topic to something manageable.
- If your topic is too broad, you will find too much information and not be able to focus.
- Background reading can help you choose and limit the scope of your topic.
- Review the guidelines on topic selection outlined in your assignment. Ask your professor suggestions.