Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Pilgrim Library Instruction Philosophy
Library Instruction at Defiance college strives to develop the information literacy skills of all students through programing that supports the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) framework and definition:
"Information literacy is the set of integrated abilities encompassing the reflective discovery of information, the understanding of how information is produced and valued, and the use of information in creating new knowledge and participating ethically in communities of learning."
- Contact the Lead Librarian to schedule a session. Please try to schedule at least 10 days in advance to allow for session preparation time.
- Provide a copy of the research assignment and your syllabus to the Lead Librarian. This will allow us to prepare the most relevant session possible for your students.
- Share resources & topics that you would like included in the session.
- Attend the session with your students. Your attendance emphasizes the importance of the session. Students will also be able to ask you questions about the research project that cannot be answered by a librarian.
Benefits of Library Instruction
Library instruction benefits you and your students. We aim to support your teaching efforts by working in partnership and reinforcing critical information fluency skills. We can make sure your students know how to research and use library resources. We also want to work with you to ensure that students know how to evaluate and use information effectively and ethically. The skills we focus on will not only help them succeed in your class, but throughout the rest of their college career and lives.
Don't believe us? Here are some quotes about library instruction from DC students:
- "It is really hard for me to ask for help so having these sessions is perfect because I get the help I need without having to ask."
- "They (the sessions) weren't general, they were pretty in-depth, so I figured out a lot of stuff I would never have known without it, like searching for journal articles and more."
- "Doing the library sessions has made me more comfortable writing and doing research for papers."
- "It was helpful to have the library in a sense come to us. That took a little bit out of the embarassment of not understanding the process."
Click the purple "Ask Us" side tab above