FYE 100, College Engagement Seminar, is designed for first year students to successfully engage in college life, including both the academic and social arenas. This course focuses on exercising academic skills, fostering social competencies, and understanding and accepting diversity as a foundation for developing the student’s engagement in the community and the world.
The goals of this course are:
- To welcome students into the Defiance College (DC) academic community. A community based on academic curiosity, commitment, and conversation.
- To explore the liberal arts and how they inform intellectual curiosity, academic commitment and personal success.
- To develop a connection with your DC academic advisor, and an academic and co-curricular plan for your 4 years at DC.
- To develop an understanding about conducting research at the college level, a skill known as information literacy.
- To establish a sense of connection and belonging to DC.
Online College Success Lessons (total of three)
Advisor Assignments (total of three)
Writing Assign. #1 - Autoethnography
Writing Assign. #2 – Reflection Paper
Research Skills Bibliography Assignment
Research Evaluation Assignment
Online Information Literacy Lessons
Writing Assign. #3 – Inquiry Research Paper
Be sure to check your course syllabus and Moodle for more specific details about expectations specific to your section of FYE100.